Ignition Interlock Devices
DUIs and California's IID Program
If you were arrested for drunk driving, you may be required to install an ignition interlock device (IID) as part of your sentence, a condition of your probation, or a condition under which you get your driving privileges restored. In 2010, the state of California started a pilot program in Los Angeles County with the goal of reducing DUIs and repeat offenders.
IID Requirements for DUI
If you are arrested for drunk driving under § 23152 of the California Vehicle Code, you will face ignition interlock device installation for the following periods:
- First offense DUI – Five months installation
- Second offense DUI – 12 months installation
- Third offense DUI – 24 months installation
- Fourth offense DUI – 36 months installation
IID Requirements for DUI with Injury
- First offense – 12 months installation
- Second offense – 24 months installation
- Third offense – 36 months installation
- Fourth offense – 48 months installation
The IID must be installed on all vehicles that the offender drives.
What if I can't afford it?
IID installation, monitoring, calibration, and the device itself all come at the sole cost and expense of the DUI offender. Anyone who cannot afford this expense can petition to the court for a payment plan. According to § 23700 of the California Vehicle Code, people who fall below the poverty line can even have some of the IID expenses covered.
- Income at 100% of the federal poverty level – Only responsible for 10% of the IID costs
- Income at 101-200% of the poverty level – Only responsible for 25% of the IID costs
- Income at 201-300% of the poverty level – Only responsible for 50% of the IID costs
The rest of the costs will be picked up by the interlock device provider. Anyone who does not meet the poverty line requirements must pay 100% of the ignition interlock costs.
Contacting a Long Beach DUI Attorney
If you were arrested for drunk driving and have questions about the IID program and how it applies to you, contact a Long Beach DUI lawyer at Gold & Witham today. We have more than 40 years of experience and the defense strategies you need to combat your DUI charges. All initial consultations are free and confidential.